Is it just me or does having an older baby make time go faster? The first few months of Milo’s life went by so slowly. I’m sure that settling into a new routine and figuring out how to be a mom accounted for some of the lag, but now time is really speeding up. I feel like he’s changing every day. I swear sometimes I look at him and see a toddler. I know, I know. I’m not there yet, but I do realize how quickly it’s going to go…
In the same vein, the fall always goes as quickly as it arrives. This season is my favorite and this year I’m really trying to be present and take it all in. Here are a few ways that I’ve really been enjoying the fall:
– Slow, intentional walks through the Boston Public Garden. Do we live in the most beautiful city, or what?
– I am on a dairy and soy-free diet due to Milo’s sensitivities. The dietary restrictions have forced me to try different things, and I’m loving apple cider and beer, especially Boom Sauce from the Woburn-based Lord Hobo Brewing Company.
– I was walking home the other evening and stopped myself in the middle of the sidewalk. I was surrounded by the most beautiful arrangement of yellow leaves. It almost reminded me of the first snowfall and how beautifully untouched it can seem. It’s so easy to rush through the day and not notice the beauty of the changing leaves — I’m really trying to stop and notice this time around.
– Chili! Matt makes the best chili, and every time we say how we’re going to freeze a bunch to eat throughout the winter. It never makes it to the freezer. It’s just too good! At some point, I need to write down the recipe – but essentially, it’s a mix of pinto and kidney beans, tomato sauce, fresh salsa, an onion and garlic, and beef. We use a lot of chili powder and other spices (we love spice). Often, we’ll make cornbread to pour the chili on to. So, so good!
– As Milo goes to bed earlier and as the evenings get darker, I find that we’re spending more time indoors. At the end of the day, it’s nice to kick back with a book and / or some good tv. I’ve been enjoying This Is Us although nothing compares to Parenthood. I’m also reading this book, which my sister Carolyn gave me for my birthday.
– I’m planning to make this very fall recipe over the weekend. All of a sudden, I’m craving spending time in the kitchen. I used to love to bake, but honestly haven’t felt the desire in years. It feels good to find myself back in the kitchen! Also, I’m planning to dust off my crockpot. Any favorite recipes I should try?
What are you loving lately?
Image credit: Natalie Chassaigne Kurtzman