A Summertime Recipe with al fresco
I love summer for many reasons, but #1 might be all the delicious and fresh foods we eat, and the large percentage of which are cooked on the grill. You may not know this, but we love to grill. In fact, our dog, Weber is named after the Weber grill – no joke! Matt grew up in Charleston, South Carolina and although he prefers to grill in the sunny weather, you can find him on our back deck year-round. Can take the boy out of the south, but not the south out of the boy.
We recently partnered with al fresco to share a delicious summer recipe featuring their chicken sausage. We eat a lot of sausages — in fact, Matt has even made them on several occasions (which is kind of a gross process, but that’s a story for another day.). We love to eat them with onions and peppers and loads of spicy mustard, naturally, or with mussels and marinara sauce. It’s definitely one of those comfort foods that can bring you back to a time and place. They always remind me of my childhood for some reason.
We decided to make fajitas on the grill using al fresco’s spicy jalapeno chicken sausage. The sausages are pre-cooked so it takes the extra hassle out having to worry if you’ve cooked raw chicken all the way through. At least that’s always a concern for me! This recipe was super easy, and you could totally swap out some of the ingredients for whatever you have on hand.
Grilled Fajitas with al fresco chicken sausage
1 package of al fresco’s chicken sausage (we used spicy jalapeno)
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 bell peppers, cored and sliced thinly (we used 2 red and 1 yellow)
avocado, thinly sliced
1. I like to start by getting all of the veggies prepared and ready to go. Slice the onion, and then core the bell peppers and thinly slice.
2. Heat up the grill, and take out your fajita pan (if you have one for the grill).
3. Cook the onions, peppers, and sausages for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the sausages have a nice color to them.
4. Once they are cooked, place the tortilla on the grill for 5 seconds on each side to lightly crisp.
5. Cut the sausage into slices, and place sausage, onions, and peppers into the tortilla.
6. Top with sliced avocado and salsa.
7. Enjoy! And repeat.
This was such an easy weeknight meal and it was so tasty. We love fajitas, but have never made them with sausage. It was a fun twist on a meal that we already love. I’m realizing these days that you don’t always have to reinvent the wheel, but sometimes just making a few small changes can make a meal (or anything!) feel different and new.
What summer recipes are you loving? Have you tried al fresco chicken sausages before? xo
This post is sponsored by al fresco, a brand that we love. Thanks for reading and supporting our blog!